Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Celebrity Crushes


This is a chronological compilation of my celebrity crushes and how they've evolved over the years. I just thought this would be an interesting post. Feel free to comment and profess your crushing on celebrities. :) 

Let's Start At the Beginning
My crushing did not start with celebrities. It started with a Disney movie about Mermaids. As a child I fantasized about being a mermaid and having a mermaid lover.

In My Pre-Teens and Obsessed with Power Figures
Most of my crushes in middle school were powerful or villainous figures. I enjoyed watching numerous scary movies, and I often rooted for the villain or serial killer, because they were often more interesting. Plus, the victims in the movies were often pathetic and retarded. Why do they trip and fall down when the serial killer is chasing them and then just sit there and scream? It's like Hello, get up and run!

I had crushes on villains and vampires. At the time, Interview with a Vampire was one of my favorite movies. My other favorite movie was Judge Dredd. I had a crush on both the villain (Armand Assante) and the hero (Sylvester Stallone) in this movie. I also had a short-lived crush on George Cluney - why? I don't know. I must have been watching the show E.R. and developed the crush which quickly died.

I also developed a crush on Superman. No, not the movie character Superman but the cartoon Superman. The cartoon Superman is so much more attractive than any of the real-life Superman actors.

In High School and Evolving
I began to evolve out of the whole villain/vampire stage and gain interest in characters with more depth. We finally got cable television in the house. I started watching Kids in the Hall, Absolutely Fabulous, and crime dramas like CSI and Law & Order. I didn't know what I had been missing!

While watching Law & Order, I developed a crush on Chris Noth. I thought Chris Noth's character was strong and tormented. His sarcastic smile and defined nose are so attractive.

At the time, one of my favorite movies was (and still is) Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead. The movie is loaded with witty banter between the main characters (Tim Roth and Gary Oldman). I can't decide which I had the bigger crush on, Tim Roth or Gary Oldman. Both of them were adorable in that movie. Nothing is more attractive than a witty, intelligent personality.

For a while, I had a crush on Edward Norton after watching Fight Club. I also developed crushes on Damian Lewis and Alan Rickman.

I first noticed Damian Lewis while watching a British soap called the Forsyte Saga. He was awesome in the movie Dreamcatcher. Damian Lewis is absolutely the hottest redhead I have ever seen! He has awesome red hair and glowy blue eyes. Perhaps it is because I am an artist and I pay attention to colors and their different hues, but I absolutely love how the pink color of his eyelids pairs with the light blond eyelashes.
The number one attractive characteristic about Alan Rickman is his baritone voice. His sarcastic tone and dark personality make his portrayal of Professor Snape off-the-charts sexy! I have three words to describe Alan Rickman:
SEXY, SEXY, SEXY!

Any day he wants to marry me is fine with me! :) (Haha I'm just kidding. That would probably never happen.)

In College...
There should be a television show called Desperate Full-Time Students. (lol) Engineering classes are a lot of work. Here's to procrastinating and watching television when I should be doing my homework! Let me just say... Who wants to solve engineering problems when CSI is on?

In college, I developed a crush on CSI's Grissom (William Petersen). He has a lovable face and the all-important nerd factor. In CSI, I identified with his character, specifically his aversion to politics and inquisitive personality.

After watching the movie Gia, I developed a crush on Angelina Jolie. She has such a free personality, which is extremely attractive, perhaps because I want to feel that free.

I also developed crushes on the actor from the movie The Professional (Jean Reno) and the actor from the show Medium (Jake Weber).

My most recent crushes are Mandy Patinkin from Criminal Minds and pop star Lady Gaga.

Mandy Patinkin is intense and masculine. He was also in Dead Like Me, which is an awesome show. In the show Dead Like Me, his personality is difficult to define, which makes him all the more interesting to me. He seems very confident and knows where to draw the line with people. Unfortunately, he is not in continuing episodes of Criminal Minds. :(


Lady Gaga is fascinating and lovable. She is so artistic and creative in her performances. I identify with a great deal of what she says. Lady Gaga is indescribable and beautiful. It seems like she wants everyone to see her work and not get caught up on labels.





Reflection
Writing this post told me a lot about myself. In my pre-teens I was obsessed with power figures probably because my parents had divorced and I felt powerless to keep my family together. As a teenager, I started to grow out the villain obsession and gain interest in characters with more depth. At that age, I was discovering who I was as a person. It makes sense that I crushed on different types of characters, because I didn't even know who I was yet. As I started learning more about myself in college, the multitude of characters I was attracted to started to narrow.

Looking at my compilation of celebrity crushes has shown me how I have changed over the years. Now that I am out of college, my tastes and interests are still changing. Because of my engineering education, I am still an enginerd (or engineering nerd), but I have kept my devotion and interest in art.

1 comment:

  1. Apart from Aladdin...I've crushed on Robin Hood, the twins from Harry Potter, and Connor and Murphy McManus from the Boondock Saints. And probably a bunch of others that I'm not remembering. I tend to crush on characters, but as real people go, there's one for Josh Groban! A voice like an angel...and my boyfriend of course ^_~

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to express yourself! :)